Buddhism facts

People share pointless facts that just don’t get out of their heads

Ah, useless facts. Random knowledge that serves no purpose other than taking up space in our brains, and maybe, just maybe, winning a trivia game (yeah, okay) or killing time when a party (I forgot, what is a party?).

Let ask Reddit to bring up all the weird and funny stuff, though. People shared their own useless facts that live freely in their heads. And while they may be unnecessary, they’re certainly entertaining.

Without delay :


Mitochondria are the powerhouse of the cell.

Yes, this unnecessary fact has stayed with us since elementary school. The bright side is that it has been the source of many funny memes.

Vending machines are deadlier than sharks.

animation domination lol GIF by gifnews
Giphy

Think about it the next time you pick up a Snickers bar: Between 2002 and 2015, the National Electronic Surveillance System reported that vending machines caused four deaths a year in the United States, mostly due to people knocking over the machines on themselves.

Compare that to shark-related deaths on average at just 0.6 deaths per year. I don’t know how only about half a person is considered dead, but math has never been my strength.

However, this statistic might have to be taken with a grain of sea salt, considering that people in landlocked states have almost zero chance of experiencing a shark attack. But there you have it, a pointless fact to use when you’re at the beach.

Snails have teeth.


horror finger GIF by absurdnoise
Giphy

“These are not teeth big enough to hurt humans. This is what makes it a useless fact to know. & it won’t leave my head because it’s just disturbing enough to make me rethink my whole opinion of snails.– ghosts-go-boo

But cows don’t.

At least no upper front teeth. Makes chewing and dental visits easier I guess.

The Sun is about 400 times bigger than the Moon but also about 400 times farther from the Earth. So they look about the same size.


File:1999 Solar Eclipse 4.jpg – Wikimedia Commons
commons.wikimedia.org

This explains how the sun can be completely blocked out during an eclipse.

Pigeons and doves belong to the same family of birds.


Happy GIF Animation by sahlooter
Giphy

The Columbidae are a stout-bodied, short-necked subspecies of birds that feed mainly on seeds, fruits, and plants. Although one lives on as a symbol of peace and love, and the other is often seen as a flying rat, the names are virtually interchangeable.

However, thinking about Stevie Nicks singing, “just like a white-winged pigeon” doesn’t quite sound the same.

The length of a blink of an eye…


back to the future big scott GIF
Giphy

According to ScienceFocus.com, physicists use a “jiffy” to define the time it takes light to travel one femtometer (which is a tiny fraction of a millimeter). Simply put, a jiffy is one fiftieth of a second.

So the next time you say, “Come back in a jiffy”, know that you better come back really, really, really quickly.

Most corn is inedible to humans.


corn on teal surface
Photo by Charles Deluvio on Unsplash

1% of corn grown in the United States is sweet corn (the corn you eat as corn). The remaining 99% is field corn (or dent corn), which is raw enough inedible and must be processed before human consumption. This field corn is also used for inedible corn products, such as ethanol, paint, cosmetics, etc. Yes, most corn is used as livestock feed. Ethanol and high fructose corn syrup are also up there. Yeah, if you’re driving on a highway and you pass cornfields, you probably won’t be able to eat it.” – Kat_lbltko1pl

Infants have flexible bones.


GIF by AFV Babies
Giphy

Have you ever wondered why toddlers seem so much more flexible? This is because a baby’s skeleton is very different from an adult’s. Babies are born with around 300 bones (94 more than adults) which are linked together by soft cartilage to make this whole birth possible. As we age, the bones will fuse together. And suddenly that toe touch is just a distant dream of the past.

Numbers from 1 to 999 do not have the letter “a” as a word.


white printing paper with numbers
Photo by Mika Baumeister on Unsplash

Some vowels just don’t get the respect they deserve.

John Wilkes Booth and Lee Harvey Oswald are both known by three names. And each full name consists of 15 letters.


surprise season 4 GIF
Giphy

In fact, that’s not quite correct. Oswald’s full name was not used until after Kennedy’s assassination, due to his habit of adopting false names.

Cockroaches molt.

Unlike a reptile that sheds its skin, cockroaches shed their entire exoskeleton. Crawling out is a soft, meaty, ghostly white creature that will turn brown within hours. You are welcome for Nightmare Fuel.

Here is. Jewels of wisdom no one asked for. They say knowledge is power. But in this case, I would say that knowledge is not necessary. But still fun!

From articles on your site

Related articles on the web