BIRTHDAY OF DR AMBEDKAR: Bharat Ratna Dr BR Ambedkar has given India the greatest asset which has helped our country to become a thriving democracy. The chief architect of our constitution, Dr. BR Ambedkar has also been the standard bearer for Dalit activism in India, giving voice to the nation’s unknown masses.
READ ALSO : Dr Ambedkar Birthday Wishes, Images, Messages, Greetings and Quotes to Share on Dr Ambedkar Birthday
As we celebrate his birthday on April 14 this year, here are some lesser known facts about Dr. BR Ambedkar:
1. Born on April 14, 1891 in the town and military cantonment of Mhow (in pre-independence Maharashtra, now in Madhya Pradesh), who is now known as Dr. Ambedkar Nagar, Dr. Bhim Rao Ambedkar was the 14th and last child of his parents. His original surname was Ambawadekar, however, it was changed to Ambedkar at school by his teacher.
2. Dr. Babasaheb Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar was born into the Mahaar caste (natives of Maharashtra) of Hindu religion. As an active revolutionary against inhumane caste practices against Dalits and gender inequality, Ambedkar converted to Buddhism in 1956.
3. At the age of 14, Dr. BR Ambedkar was married to Ramabai. However, Ramabai Ambedkar on May 27, 1935, after a long illness. She was 37 years old. After his death, Dr BR Ambedkar married Savita Ambedkar. Savita Ambedkar, who originally belonged to a Brahmin family, converted to Buddhism with Dr BR Ambedkar. She died in 2003.
4. Dr. BR Ambedkar was master in 64 subjects. He knew 9 languages. Apart from that, he has studied all the religions of the world comparatively for almost 21 years.
5. He completed 8 years of study in just 2 years and 3 months at the London School of Economics. He is the first and only person in the world to have received a valuable doctorate named “Doctor All Science” from the London School of Economics.
6. Dr. BR Ambedkar has the most statues in the world. In 1950, his first statue was built in the city of Kolhapur. Dr BR Ambedkar is the only Indian whose statue is attached to Karl Marx in the Museum of London. His birthday is also celebrated around the world.
7. Credit for giving ‘Ashok Chakra’ a place on the Indian tricolor goes to Dr. BR Ambedkar. His book “Waiting for a Visa” is a textbook at Columbia University. In the world, the greatest number of songs and books written in the name of a leader is Dr BR Ambedkar.
8. All Buddha statues and paintings in the world have Buddhas with closed eyes, but Dr. BR Ambedkar made the first Buddha painting in which Buddha’s eyes were opened.
9. The initiation into Buddhism of Dr. BR Ambedkar with his 8,50,000 historical followers worldwide was the greatest conversion in the world. Mahant Veer Chandramani, a great Buddhist monk who introduced Dr. Ambedkar to Buddhism, called him “the modern Buddha of this age”.
10. Ambedkar breathed his last on December 6, 1956 in New Delhi, where he received a Buddhist cremation. In 1990, Ambedkar was posthumously awarded Bharat Ratna, India’s highest civilian honor.
Read all the latest IPL 2022 news, breaking news and live updates here.