Manipur is a state in northeastern India and is one of the Seven Sisters. The capital of Manipur is Imphal and the state shares borders with Nagaland, Mizoram and Assam. It shares its international borders with Myanmar and China. The state covers an area of 22,327 square kilometers. During the British Indian Empire, Manipur was one of the princely states of India. Manipur’s economy is primarily an agrarian economy with significant potential for hydroelectric power generation. 41% of the state’s population is made up of tribal. The people of Manipur follow Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, J, and a large portion follow Hinduism.
Manipur: modern history
- A democratic form of government was established by the Manipur State Constitution Act 1947.
- Maharaja Bodhchandra was summoned to Shillong merge the kingdom with Union of India.
- On October 15, 1949 Manipur was merged with India. Later in 1956, it was made into a union territory, and finally in 1972 it was declared a state by the North East Regions Act 1971.
- The first armed opposition group of Manipur was founded in 1964 and was known as the United Nations Liberation Front (UNLF).
- After which several other groups were formed in Manipur, 1977 the People’s Revolutionary Party of Kangleipak (PREPAK) was formed, and the People’s Liberation Army (PLA) was formed in 1978.
- Of 1980 to 2004 the government of India has labeled Manipur as disturbed area which refers to a territory where extraordinary casualties under the Armed Forces Act can be utilized.
- However, in 2004 the government lift disturbed status after a violent assault on a local woman.
Manipur: what you need to know
- The capital of Manipur is Imphal.
- The Chief Minister of Manipur is N. Biren Singh and the governor is The Ganesan.
- Manipur merged with India on October 15, 1949.
- The official language of Manipur is the Meiteilon or Manipuri language.
- Total Region covered by Manipur is about 22,327 square kilometers.
- The state animal of Manipur is Sangaithe state bird is Nongyen, and the state flower is Lily Shirui.
Buy Prime Test Series for all Banking, SSC, Insurance and other exams
Find more miscellaneous news here